Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2019

Wiki on Populism

"Populism refers to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite". The term developed in the 19th century and has been applied to various politicians, parties, and movements since that time, although has rarely been chosen as a self-description. Within political science and other social sciences, several different definitions of populism have been employed, with some scholars proposing that the term be rejected altogether."

Although I didn't read the whole article, I did scan over it, and it seems to be an elaboration on the theme that is summarized in the opening paragraph.  Wiki is good that way.  Funny thing is, populists don't usually describe themselves as populists, that's what other people call them.  I have noticed in the last few decades, that some candidates brag about being "outsiders", which is kind of the same thing.  So what happens when an outsider gets elected?  Does he join the very establishment that he campaigned against, or does he still think of himself as an outsider?  

Maybe the reason I don't get too excited about the civilized and the wild making contact is that I never have been all that civilized myself.  I don't consider myself to be all that wild either, although I have known a few people who claimed that I was.  I respect animals, both wild and domestic, for what they are, and don't try to make them what they aren't.  I suppose that I should feel the same way about humans, but I don't.  It seems that humans ought to be capable of so much more, but maybe I expect too much of them.  
I have long been of the opinion that the Adam and Eve story has been misinterpreted in the Judeo-Christian tradition.  I seem to remember that we have discussed this before, but briefly, I think its an allegory about growing up and taking responsibility for the consequences of your own actions.  


No comments:

Post a Comment