Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2019

north side, south side

Polacky?  I've never heard that term used in that way.  I googled it, but apparently it is a surname and all I got was people named Polacky.  Well I know that Beagles is not using it a slur for Polish people, but rather as a term to mean something like roughneck.  As a Bohunk I rather identified with the Poles, my Slavic brothers.  My mother used to say that a Bohunk is just a Pollack with a nickel in his pocket.  When the satellite countries broke free from the Russkies it didn't mean they were all united.  I remember reading that the East Germans looked down on the Czechs who looked down on the Polish.

I agree that the south side was considered more roughneck than the north side,  Of course when we speak of the south side what we really mean is the southwest side and when we speak of the north side we are inclined to think of the part of it closer to the lake.  To the west of the lake the north side is the bungalow belt which probably has more in common with the south side bungalow belt than their neighbors to the east.  It always seemed to me that the main difference between the two was that the north siders were Cub fans and the south siders were Sox fans.  That's no longer as pronounced as it once was and you see plenty of Cub hats on the south side and Sox hats on the north side.

A bear hunt huh?  So there are bears in that swamp?  None in Beaglesonia though I reckon because I have never heard Beagles speak of them, nor wolves or cougars, so I wonder what is the top predator in Beaglesonia?

So my opening is coming up this Saturday.  I think this will be my tenth.  I get all fired up at the beginning deciding what to put in the show and designing the postcard and all, but as the date of the opening approaches I get to thinking it's an awful lot of work, not that it really is, but for us retired people even going to the dentist is a lot of work, shoots the whole day, you know.  Imagine back in the day we would work eight hours (eight hours!) and then go to the dentist.  Imagine that, I hardly can.

Well time to bake the corn muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment