Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

growing up in the hood and the debates

When Beagles mentioned that in Cheboygan sometimes your family name means a lot it reminded me of how Ruby Dew. growing up in a town of a few hundred maybe fifty miles outside of Cheboygan, talked about family status.  There was a broad divide  to the extent that kids after a certain age were told not to, or no longer themselves wanted to, hang with other kids.  I guess it was mostly money, but your name could mean something if your family had once been rich. 

It's often used as a plot device in books and movies, the once proud family suffering bad fortune and living in relative penury but keeping their proud, aristocratic, noses up; and the newly-rich family that comes into money and moves into a rich community but keep their crude habits and all their new neighbors look down on them.

There was nothing like that in Gage Park, or I imagine anywhere in the bungalow belts because your neighbor's house cost about the same as yours, and no family had been around a long time because forty years ago the neighborhood didn't exist.  It always seemed an odd, likely old-fashioned custom, this snooty thing, but I guess it was just something we didn't have in our neighborhood.  I'm kind of proud of that, but on the other hand the neighborhood was very racist.  I wonder what Old Dog's hood was like growing up.


Watched the debate last night between innings of the baseball game.  It was like Sanders and Warren were the giants and everybody else was a pygmy.  The pygmies were generally more conservative and their message was that because of that they were more electable.  The only time it got pretty heated is when they talked health care, the main issue being can you still have private insurance.  It seems to me that once the gummint sticks its big foot in the only way private insurance can still exist is for things like nose jobs, and rightly so because they are leeches, leeches I tell you.  I will be glad to see them go and take their stupid commercials of grinning idiots showing off their cards with them.

Tomorrow I will also be watching between innings.  It will be the newly risen in the polls Biden (33 percent in the latest) with the leftier Booker and Harris on either side, and another bunch of pygmies whose names I couldn't tell you right now.  I don't really like Biden, but I wonder if he is more electable because he's kind of a big clown himself and might he not siphon some of the big clown vote away from the biggest clown in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment