Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Clean Repeal

I seem to remember that Trump had a healthcare plan, which is why he was not able to persuade Congress to repeal Obamacare.  What most of the Republicans wanted was a "clean repeal", and what Trump wanted was "repeal and replace".  All he was trying to do was patch up Obamacare and re-brand it as Trumpcare.  In my opinion, Canada has the best plan of all, but nobody in the US seems interested in copying that.  I am against the individual mandate because it's a sweetheart deal for the insurance companies, and they're the ones who drove up the cost of healthcare in the first place.

I have read that putting the citizenship question on the census might discourage illegal immigrants from contributing to the count.  The thing is they're not supposed to be here in the first place, so send them back where they came from and they won't need to be counted.  The legal immigrants shouldn't have anything to worry about because they are here legally and, yes, they should be counted.  As far as I know, the proposed question just asks if you are a citizen, it doesn't ask non citizens if they are here legally or illegally, so I still don't understand why Trump or anybody wants it put on in the first place.

The citizenship question on Michigan's ballot request slip is another useless thing.  Since only citizens are supposed to be registered voters, what's the point of restating the obvious?  Before they give you your ballot, they check your name against their list of registered voters anyway, which is why they have you fill out the slip in the first place.  Be that as it may, I don't see how the citizenship question would keep the migrant vote down, unless Uncle Ken is suggesting that non-citizens should be given voting rights.

Something has been bothering me about this populism thing, and I finally identified it.  Populism is just another word for classism, and I don't believe in classism.  I know that lots of people do, but it's just a social thing that is not mandated by any law in this country.  I am an American, I ain't got no class.

No comments:

Post a Comment