Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Sunday short takes

That Elian Gonzales situation was a very big deal as I recall.  There was a big police raid to grab the kid (unless I'm getting my stories mixed up) with one photo still in my mind: a burly cop in full SWAT drag with an M16 confronting a terrified six year old boy, the most heavy handed resolution of a child custody case I've ever seen.

-----

Current events have gotten way too screwy for me lately so I try to find items of curious interest as a distraction, and here's a good one.  About 7,000 years ago humanity was nearly driven to the point of extinction because of tribal warfare, causing a genetic bottleneck.  The NY Post (a tabloid!) did an article on it but there is a link to an article in Nature that goes into deep detail, deeper than I can easily understand.  At least it's something different to chew on.

-----

There has been some talk about how our society and culture is degrading and reverting to a more crude and vulgar time and I suppose it's true.  Bare-knuckle boxing is back on the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment