Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Strike out

In light of more recent events (the pending Supreme Court vacancy) talks of immigration policy may be on the back burner for a while as legislators try to sort out that mess.  When Trump mentioned the importance of The Wall (TM) he made constant references to the criminals, the MS-13 gang in particular.  They are a nasty bunch, comprised of mostly Central Americans, El Salvador in particular, but there is one salient detail that the media (and the White House) seems to have overlooked.  MS-13 was indeed founded by a guy from El Salvador but he did so in the city of Los Angeles, California in 1980 and that makes MS-13 an American criminal enterprise if I'm not mistaken.  USA!  USA!

-----

Doom, indeed.  I don't think anyone saw that coming, the retirement of Justice Kennedy; I certainly didn't.  I figured Ruth Bader Ginsburg, being the oldest, would retire first but she seems to be a tough old bird what with the yoga and all.  The next oldest guy is 79 but I don't know much about him.  Judges, if they can keep their wits, can carry on for a very long time which makes a Supreme Court loaded with Trump appointees a scary proposition.  That would make his dominance complete, the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government all dancing to his tune.  I don't have a good feeling about that.

The GOP will, I hope, take a lot of lumps this November and I hope it forces them to get their act together.  Maybe they should split in two and create a third party of "normal" Republicans and let the Trumpists wither and die on their own merits.  I know it's asking a lot for sanity to prevail but I can dream, can't I?

-----

I wonder if Trump is a little jealous of the way his new best pal, Kim Jong Un, exercises his power. It seems that one of his generals was a little too optimistic in his views of the recent confab and those views were not in line with official party policy.  The solution?  A firing squad, naturally.  I'm not sure if it's only a matter of time before some of Trump's critics have unfortunate accidents or otherwise disappear.  Happy Vlad in Moscow would be more than happy to provide a few pointers; he has enjoyed great success as far as media critics go and they go with alarming frequency.

And there's a NATO summit coming later this summer.  That should be interesting.  I wonder if Trump will bother to attend since he doesn't seem to be on good terms with any of the other NATO countries, except maybe Turkey.  It's quite a world we're living in and I'm not the only one having trouble making sense of it.

-----

I found a boycott ad for Uncle Ken in the current issue of the Redeye, the free weekly paper produced by the Tribune Company.  The ad is by the Local Teamsters 727 urging a boycott against The American Bottling Company for unfair labor practices, so you should quit drinking Dr.Pepper, 7Up, Snapple, RC Cola, and a few others.  This is a boycott I can get behind since I don't drink any of those beverages but is it a boycott if I don't drink them in the first place?  I was surprised to see that the Teamsters were still in business; didn't the decline of unions begin when Reagan was messing around with the Air Traffic Controllers way back when?  That's my recollection but maybe you guys can set me straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment