Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Good Laws - Bad Laws

Okay, let me get this straight. What I think my esteemed colleagues are saying is that we are only supposed to obey the good laws, not the bad laws.  The first question that arises is:  Who gets to decide which laws are good and which laws are bad?  I'm pretty sure that it's not me because, if I had my way, abortion and gay marriage would still be illegal.  I'm also pretty sure it's not my esteemed colleagues because, if they had their way, the only guns that civilians would be allowed to own are single shot muzzle loaders.  So who gets to decide this stuff?  It's supposed to be majority rule, more or less, but sometimes it's less not more.  The majority of the voters in Michigan decided that abortion and gay marriage should remain illegal, but they were subsequently overruled by the U.S Supreme Court.  I guess you could say that we have a system in this country that decides all this stuff.  Each of us is a part of this system, but a very small part.

It's like that kid on my school bus who was bragging to everybody that he owned the bus.  The other kids disagreed, and it was getting hot and heavy. Rather than just suppressing the uproar, I decided to make it a teachable moment.  I explained to everybody that we all owned the bus, and so did all the other citizens of our school district.  The bragging kid interpreted this to mean that I agreed with him about owning the bus.  I tried to explain to him that he only owned a part of the bus, as did we all.  As luck would have it, there was this little screw that had fallen out of somewhere some time ago.  I had been saving it in case I ever found out where it belonged.  I picked up the screw and handed it to the kid saying, "Here, I'm giving you your part back. Now shut up and sit down."

I'm not going to defend the statements of Trump or any of his entourage.  (By the way, how do you guys remember all those names?)  I'm also not going to defend the actions of people who did bad things before I was even born.  I understand that you guys, with your liberal guilt, want to do something to atone for the sins of others, but I do not.

I've been trying to find out something about this tariff thing, but all I have found so far is the opinions of people that either like or dislike tariffs in general.  What I want to know is: Is there any truth to Trumps assertion that the U.S. has been the victim of "unfair trade practices" for decades.  Specifically, were these countries tariffing our stuff long before we started tariffing their stuff?  If that's true, Trump is right in tariffing their stuff.  If that's not true, then Trump is wrong.  Trump is not right or wrong because he's Trump. Trump is either right or wrong because, either they were tariffing or they were not tariffing.  Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment