Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2018

a new global adventure

Elian's parents were divorced which doesn't necessarily mean estranged.  Estranged to me means not speaking to each other and bad mouthing each other to friends.  The father was indeed a commie, he believed in his country.  The kid is doing quite well.  A lot of people in Cuba love their country, and not that we Americans care, because it's about poor people, who we know is just another word for lazy, Cuba has an infant mortality rate substantially better than the USA, literacy, just slightly.

That is the photo, Elian in some closet, some robocop opening the door, crazy Miami Cubans reeling about like indignant desert birds.  The relatives made all kinds of threats so the feds went in in force, the Powell doctrine I believe.

I got the impression more that we lost a lot of genetic diversity than that we came close to extinction.  Us, great apes with opposable thumbs, and huge brains enabling us to natter on and on, going extinct?  I don't think so.  The article in Nature was, well pretty scientific, and pretty long too, I guess I will have to take the Post's word that its article is based on that.  I think if I had had the actual magazine, I could have gotten the gist of the article better because flipping through pages is easier than scrolling through screens.

Last night I was watching Ken Burns' Vietnam series, a little bored because I've seen it before so I was browsing through The Hill and came across an article about how the US is mulling direct military assistance to take key Yemini port  Yikes.  This could never happen could it?  Then I remember how the neocons were slavering to get our boys in Iraq and I kept assuring a nervous Nellie friend of mine that that would never happen because it was patently so stupid and everybody knew that didn't they?  Didn't they?

And I remember how happy Trump was doing the sword dance with his Saudi buddies, and how the republicans control the house and the senate, and none of them running for office, except Kasich, dare to say that even one hair on his orange head is out of place.



No comments:

Post a Comment