Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2018

movie talk

Sometimes I forget why I put a movie in the queue.  It might be because I liked the trailer, maybe the queue was low and I went out scouting for the best movie of 2016. 15. 14, whenever, and sometimes I take a shine to a director, or actor.  I was wondering why I put this one in my queue, and then I saw that is was directed by Wes Anderson and that's why I put it in,  It has a dumb and dumber aspect that I thought might appeal to Old Dog like that movie where the guy buys another guy's amputated arm and tries to make money exhibiting it which strangely doesn't come up in response to 'movie about a guy who buys another guy's arm.'

I used to go to a video store called Video Shmideo, by State and Ontario that was like the store Old Dog speaks of, it gave you kind of an insider feeling chatting the guy up.  Those Blockbuster kids, they didn't know or care about anything.  But Blockbuster is gone now too, and I am surprised that Netflix is still going on in its snail mail hardcopy manner.  I don't pay any attention to its recommendations, mostly they seem on the level of if I watch a movie set in Australia, it thinks I like movies about Australia.  There doesn't seem to be a category for movies where the good guy is not that good and the bad guy not all that bad, with a lot of talking, no car crashes or explosions, and the ending is not  all that happy, it can be upbeat but I don't want to see all the good guys rewarded and all the bad guys punished. 

There is this thing, maybe the current version of AI, where they select things for you because other people who have watched or bought what you have watched of bought also watched or bought them.  Something sinister in that like separating us humans into similar tribes.


As an artist I refuse to read an article about dogs playing poker.  If there is anything interesting in that article Old Dog should have presented it in the body of the post rather than have me scrambling through Artsy,net and trying to dodge its request to sign up.  We have this woman in the building who gives art talks that consist of her talking about some artist who did this and that and maybe people laughed at him, but nowadays people pay piles of money for his paintings and this proves I assume, that he was a great artist.  And I am like what does one have to do with the other?  Why should I care?


You notice on that G7 thing Tump didn't diss our allies until he was on the plane.  I don't think Trudeau would have punched him in the mouth, or Macron stomped his toes, or Merkel, I see her giving him a sharp jab in the gut, but Trump, being a coward bully, obviously fears this so he never insults to the face.


Perhaps that incident on the country lane could have been worse for Beagles or for the white pickup guy, but I don't think it could have been any worse for Bambi.  When I was in Missouri Ruby Dew was pointing out all the deer carcasses.  I had never noticed them before, but once I was looking there were a lot.  Do you have to contact someone after you do that so they can haul it away, or do they just pick them up as they come across it?  Isn't there some deal where you can take it home and butcher it?

No comments:

Post a Comment