Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Politics Makes Strange Bedfellows

I don't remember what famous guy said that, but it seems appropriate here.  As I have said before, I am not currently a card carrying member of any political party.  I mostly vote Republican as the lesser of two evils.  Last time I voted for the Libertarian presidential candidate as the lesser of three evils.  If it was a presidential year, I would be inclined to vote for Trump this time.  I still don't like his personality, but I care more about issues than I do about personalities.  I don't like everything he has tried to accomplish, but I like most of it better than I like what any other president has done, with the possible exception of Reagan.

I have always heard that the Republicans are the rich man's party and the Democrats are for the poor people.  I don't necessarily agree with that, but that's what people say.  I don't remember ever hearing, until Uncle Ken said it, that the Republicans want to make more people become poor.  I have also never heard before that "Poor white people vote Republican because they don't get no education".  Funny, I seem to remember that Uncle Ken once said that White kids still get a better education than Black kids, despite all the efforts that have been made over the years to level the playing field.

Be that as it may, I'm glad that uncle Ken looked up John James for me because now I am more inclined to vote for him than ever.  Of course that depends on who runs against him.  We haven't had our primary yet, it's coming up in August.  Last I heard there were a number of Republican candidates for governor, but I haven't heard about anybody except James running for senator on the Republican ticket..

I am not particularly proud of being White, but I am certainly not ashamed of it either.  I am what I am, but that doesn't make me responsible for what other White people do, or other Republicans either.  

I did indeed participate in social activities in high school, but mostly in my freshman year.  I did it less and less as the years went on because I came to the conclusion that it was a waste of my time and energy.  Our ROTC uniforms were left over from the Korean era, so they were probably donated by the army as surplus.

It is my understanding that the Queen of Sheba came from, what is now, Ethiopia.  When they used to have a king, one of his titles was "The Lion of Juda".  Some years ago, they were having a civil war, and a plane load of Ethiopians showed up in Israel, claiming to be Jewish, and requesting asylum.  They did some DNA testing on them, and came to the conclusion that these guys indeed had a little Hebrew in them, possibly from King Solomon himself.



No comments:

Post a Comment