Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Strange Encounters

It looks like that meeting between Trump and Kim was long on theatrics and short on substance.  Kim promised to denuclearize someday and trump promised to lift the sanctions someday.  Then they smiled for the cameras, shook hands, and went home.  At some point, Trump took Kim for a ride in his fortified limousine.  I wonder how much it cost to fly that thing over there.

Meanwhile, back at the G7, Trump left our allies smoldering when he un-signed the joint statement from his airplane on the way to Singapore.  Well, I suppose if he can pardon himself before he's even been formally charged with anything, he can un-sign an agreement after he has left the meeting.  Trump claims that he is only retaliating for "unfair trade practices" that have ben going on  for decades.  I assume that means they were tariffing our stuff long before we started tariffing their stuff, which would make sense if it were true but, of course, we can't take Trump's word for that.  Wiki must have something on it, but I don't know what to search under.

Speaking of strange encounters, we were driving on a two lane county road yesterday when this big white pickup truck started to pass us.  I was driving the speed limit at the time, so he must have been going faster than that.  I took my foot off the gas as soon as he pulled into the oncoming lane, and was watching his progress to see if I needed to use my brakes to slow down more than that.  About the time his rear bumper was alongside my front bumper, we heard this loud thump and saw a badly mangled deer carcass fly off to the right ahead of us.  All we got out of it was some blood splattered on our windshield, but it could have been worse, the whole deer could have come right through the windshield, but it didn't.  I must have used my brakes then, but it wasn't a panic stop, the damage had already been done.  The white truck pulled off the road ahead of us and made a controlled stop.  I considered stopping myself as I came alongside, but the driver didn't appear to be injured. He was just sitting there waiting for me to get past, which I did.  The more I thought about it, there was no point in me stopping.  The deer was beyond help, and I didn't think the driver of the white truck deserved any help.  If he had gone into the ditch or crashed into a tree, I would have stopped, but he didn't and I didn't.  It occurred to me later that I might have hit that deer myself if this guy hadn't hit it first, but maybe not.  I might have seen the deer in time to avoid it if the white truck hadn't been passing me, but maybe not.  All things considered, it could have been worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment