Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2018

boycotting

I suppose a deer that doesn't get hauled away quickly is quickly eaten by critters and nature takes care of itself. 

So I had lunch with an old chum yesterday.  She's one of these gig workers you hear so much about  these days, she does some work here, she does some work there, altogether it is a good enough living, but a good part of her wages go to health insurance.  Thank god for Obamacare she says, and the waitress passing by says, right on for that, because she too is on Obamacare.  But it is not cheap, eight hundred a month and a six thousand dollar deductible.  And it keeps going up.  Eliminating the mandate has certainly been a factor in that, and there is more of that sort to come from the Republicans whose method of fighting Obamacare is not to provide an alternative that allows people to get affordable healthcare, but to raise the price of Obamacare so high that nobody can afford it.  This is what I mean by Republicans not actually aiming to put people into poverty, but not minding at all if this is the result of their policies.

She is thinking of looking for a full-time job, but  who knows what  kind of insurance they will offer.  And now the Republicans are coming after insurance companies having to cover pre-existing conditions, which she has, so maybe even if she gets the job the insurance can refuse to cover her.

Well it was just a few minutes conversation until we got to Trump.  In addition to all the terrible things he has done, he has dominated our true blue chats, because once the conversation gets to Trump it is a litany of outrages and there is no time left to discuss literature and art and philosophy like we liberals like to do.

What are you gonna do?  She was speaking of boycotts.  I don't know, I am not a big fan.  I avoid Amazon when I can because I think Jeff Bezos is trying to take over the world, but then Trump hates Bezos too. so maybe I should support Amazon?  Outside of the fact that I think boycotts in general are ineffective, I don't like the blunt force aspect of them.  It goes against the grain of The Liberal Agenda which says we should bring people to our side by reason, not by force. 
.
Blunt force can be used by anybody on anybody for any reason, but the sweet voice of reason can only bring people to the right side.  Am I right?  Am I right?

Happy weekend guys, I hear it will be a scorcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment