Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sorting it Out

Here's what I've got so far.  Some of it was consistent with what I had previously read, and some of it was new to me. Of course some of it might not be true, but that doesn't mean that none of it is.  I'm still trying to sort it all out in my mind.  Suffice it to say that this issue is more complicated than I thought it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_administration_family_separation_policy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum_in_the_United_States

I don't follow the news as much as my esteemed colleagues, but sometimes a topic catches my interest and I explore it further.  I thought that I knew everything I needed to know about the immigration issue, but apparently not.  It has always bothered me that those illegals were casually crossing back and forth anytime they wanted and nobody in authority seemed to care.  Well the scenario has changed over the years.  Now, instead of a bunch of wetbacks crossing over to pick produce for pennies, we've got everything from drug smugglers to people seeking asylum to get away from the drug gangs that seem to be running Mexico these days.  I don't know what the answer is, but it seems apparent that the current system is inadequate to handle the new reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment