Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2018

Play ball!

To my knowledge, prison labor is entirely voluntary.

Under Federal law it doesn't have to be.  I've read that an able-bodied prisoner that refuses to work is sent to solitary.  It is likely that state and local regulations have their own rules   There was a situation in California a few years ago when they needed firefighters to help with all the wildfires they were having.  Due to prison overcrowding, eligibility for parole was relaxed but hundreds of convicts were denied parole so they could fight the fires; the needs of the state have the highest priority.  The prisoners weren't too happy about that.  Here's another link that gets into the history of the 13th amendment and its racial underpinnings.

-----

Uncle Ken mentioned some cutesy names for men's and lady's restrooms and I remembered these that had silhouettes of dogs: setters and pointers.  I forgot where I saw them but it was probably in some bar or rustic restaurant in Wisconsin.

-----

I thought that omitting the video link would inspire Uncle Ken to take up the challenge and find his own damn post, but no dice.  Hmmph!  He posted the link July 8, 2016, and here it is.

Is FaceBook at the point where it is more trouble than it's worth?  It seems that it, Twitter, and other forms of social media have been heavily compromised by bad actors of many persuasions and I'm glad I have a relatively low profile.  The trolls may not know I exist.

-----

Just when I thought that Spring was around the corner it's Winter again in Chicago but none of the crazy snowfall that Mr. Beagles is enjoying.  I think it's really screwing up the baseball season.  Playing in the snow can be fun, but not for baseball, and the fans won't be buying much cold beer.  They should switch to hot cocoa.

I put discussions of the weather under current events, and that's as far as I want to go right now.  I didn't watch the Comey interview, and I don't know what to think about a state-run Russian TV channel advising people to pack essentials in preparation for World War Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment