Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

cultural norms

They (not to be confused with Them) is indeed the currently correct pronoun.  Gender neutrality pronouns are not as simple as when defaulting to he when the sex is not known  which was belittling to the fairer sex as was that term also.  Anymore we have all kinds of sexual categories, including people who are like 70% one sex and 30% the other, and who are neither, and who change their mind from day to day and people who are offended if you assume anything at all about them.  I guess it's a free country and you can be whatever you want to be, but to expect others to navigate an arbitrary and changing mine field of pronouns is too much in my book. 

So does Old Dog live in the midst of Frenchtown?  Frenchtown doesn't sound right does it?  Little Paris sounds like a nicer name. Wiki tells us that Bucharest and Leipzig are both sometimes called Little Paris or the Paris of the east, but I guess that means they are hoity toity rather than they have a lot of Frenchies, and the Chinese are building a residential community to be called Little Paris but I don't think there will be any Frenchies living there either.  In the 20s and 30s when they built the Lake Shore Drive bridge and upper and lower Wacker and put up those fancy concrete railings all over both the idea was that Chicago was to become the Paris of the Midwest.  You don't hear it called that much anymore.  I would like to hear more about this school in Old Dog's hood, is it for French people or people who want to be French?

It's the birdfeeders that could get me fined.  It's the droppings you know, though I notice that they wash right away in the rain.  I reckon it is aimed at pigeons, but in my twenty-five years I only recall seeing one pigeon.  I don't know why.

I don't know how often that swan thing goes on anymore.  I think it was once popular in tony establishments, but now that it has become well known, they don't do it anymore.  There was a Seinfeld episode with the aluminum swan, but then there was a Seinfeld episode about everything.  A friend of mine in Texas was a big Seinfeld fan, and when he died I asked Southwest about the bereavement fare, and then I remembered that was also a Seinfeld thing, and we would have had a laugh about it were he here.

In Texas they sometimes had restrooms for Bubba and Bubbette, Cute I guess, but I don't generally favor getting fancy with the name on the door because sometimes, you know, you gotta pee like a racehorse and you don't want to have to figure the difference between Fillies and Stallions

No comments:

Post a Comment