Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Fight the power?

Isn't knowledge relative?  I mean, it seems to me that everyone knows something about one thing or another, whether or not you may find it personally relevant.  This is another one of those gray areas for me, not easily resolvable into black and white.  But it's also one of those interminable discussions that I try to avoid, much to Uncle Ken's annoyance, I'm sure.

-----

When I think of caste system in the context of society, India springs to mind but I was unaware that such a system exists in Japan, too, and they are called  Burakumin.  Discrimination is not based on religion or ethnicity but on occupation, often to the extent that the Burakumin are limited in where they may live.  Japan isn't quite the homogeneous society that I had thought, and makes me wonder if we, in the US, have a subconsciously defined caste system that no one talks about.  The way certain groups of people are marginalized makes me think so, but I haven't put my finger on it quite yet and am not sure if the idea is worth pursuing.  Do white collar workers, often liberal, look down their noses to blue collar workers, often conservative?  I have that perception although it may be out of date and wrong.

-----

Too bad about Glow, I had heard glowing remarks.

From the way that statement was written I inferred that Uncle Ken hadn't seen the series, yet I had the impression, based on a previous post, that he had seen it.  Not being sure that my mind was playing tricks on me I had to do a little digging and there it was, a post from July of last year:

I was a regular watcher of Glow when it was on tv, all the goofiness of professional wrestling and scantily clad babes to boot, what not to like?


I haven't reached a conclusion yet of what this means, could be anything or nothing.

Speaking of scantily clad babes, the one and only Stormy Daniels is making a June appearance at the Admiral Theater here in Chicago, but I suspect she won't be clad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment