Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

waving to objective reality in the rearview mirror

You don't remember that when the Nazis marched in the Ukrainians welcomed them as liberators?  Threw roses at them and declared that they were Nazis too, and were very helpful in  turning in their Jews?  Well not all the Ukrainians, but not all the Arabs are jihadists.

The caliph is sort of like, as you say, the pope of the muslims.  Way back the descendents of Mohammed were the Caliph, but at some point the guys who would become the Sunnis assassinated that caliph.  The Shiites are still mad about that.  For a long time the Turks installed a caliph, rather the way the Chinese commies install a Lama for Tibet.  I don't think there has been one for awhile, certainly none that have many followers.

You know what?  ISIS is not going to take over the world.  I don't know why some folks get all trembly in their boots when they hear that some gang of crackpots in a faraway country full of other gangs of crackpots wants to take over the world.  How about those guys, who usually live in some rural or southern part of the country where there are hardly any muslims, and think somehow that Sharia law is going to be imposed on them.  Well they probably think Common Core is part of Sharia Law. 

And you know I live in Chicago, it's no New York, but it's pretty big, and I live downtown where if you were some terrorist cell and were going to set off a bomb it would be a good place to do it.  And you know I don't fear it at all.  Oh I suppose something could happen, but it's more likely that I will get killed by some car jumping the sidewalk.  I don't fear it at all.  I don't know how this country has become filled with quaking cowards.  Oh that's right talk radio and the Foxies.

I don't know if it's fair to call George Wallace a democrat.  Alright back in the day we did have the southern democrats, who were solidly in control on account of the republicans being on the other side during the civil war.  But those guys were worse even than any republicans ruling there now.  Well that's largely the product of changing times.  Anyway we dems don't like to claim them like every now and then the reps try to claim Abraham Lincoln who would be appalled by the current party, hell even Ronnie Reagan would be appalled by the current Republican party, but let's not go there for now.

The way I see it you have one primary vote for a dubious dem and one very local one for a local favorite.  I have two regular votes for a rep in  a statewide election.  So I believe that makes you more of a republican  than I am a democrat.

I looked up the Iowa caucus and you do have to be a registered member of the party to attend, but you can register when you arrive, so all you have to be is a registered voter.  I believe the only thing belonging to a party anymore is being on their list for asking for money.

Of course there is some truth to multinational corporations running the country.  I'm surprised that you, as a card carrying paranoid who thinks the rest of the world is acting in tandem to fuck with you, would doubt that for a minute.  Just look at all those PACs.  Where do you think they are getting their money from?  Joe Sixpack slipping in a few dollars from his paycheck to help make this a better world? 

The difference is, it's not like they are all assembled in some nice boardroom like in the movie Network (did you ever see it?  It's at the top of my Netflix queue and I will be viewing it Saturday night), they are more like the Greek Gods, always fighting with each other and like you say making alliances from time to time, but breaking them just as often.

Have you noticed that Trump has passed a milestone in fibbing?  It's time honored for a politician to twist the truth, but a bald faced lie is something new.  Well it happens sometimes but up till now the politician has always claimed he was misquoted or something and has walked back his lie.

But Trump, with this claim of thousands cheering 911 from the rooftops of New Jersey is not backing down.  There is absolutely no proof for this, but he claims that he remembers seeing it somewhere and so do thousands of his twitter followers.  Here we enter into the strange world of truthiness (Steven Colbert) where it doesn't matter if something is actually true, as long as it feels like it's true. It's like if we were wondering whether or not there was a tree in my front yard we don't walk over to my house to see, we just ask the people in the comfortable bar if they think I have a tree in my front yard and if they think there is then there must be.

You know I am a big fan of objective reality and I just had to say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment