Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Nothing New Under the Sun

The reason I brought in that content from Wiki is that you asked me about it and I didn't know, so I looked it up, and I didn't want you to think I made it up. Sure enough, rich people support conservative causes. So what else is new? From what I read, it seems that there is nothing new about the Tea Party movement except the name, and even that is getting old by now. Apparently a bunch of conservative and libertarian types got together and re-branded themselves as the Tea Party, nothing wrong with that as far as I can see. It's not surprising that rich people would be drawn to a cause like that because they stand to lose from any kind of redistribution scheme, while the poor people stand to gain, or at least they think they do. Of course there are rich liberals too. I think the principle difference between them and the rich conservatives is that the rich liberals feel guilty about being rich, while the rich conservatives do not. Maybe the rich liberals feel enough guilt for both of them, which is why they are not content with only giving their own money away, but would rather drag the rich conservatives down with them. Notice I said "maybe". Truth be known, a guiltless person like myself finds it difficult to identify with guilt ridden people, so I can only speculate about their motivation.

I haven't seen a Star Wars or other superhero movie in a long time, probably since my daughter grew up and left home. Kids used to be the target audience for shows like that, but I don't know if that's still true today.

Navigating the Great Lakes in a canoe is certainly possible. The Indians used to do it all the time, but we don't know how many of them died in the attempt. What you would need to do is stay close to the shore and keep an eye on the weather. When the wind and waves kick up, just pull out somewhere and wait it out. I seem to remember reading about a guy who circumnavigated Lake Michigan like that, but it took him all summer, or maybe it was two summers, I forget. He must have had some way of obtaining food and other supplies along the way because he couldn't have lived off the land like the Indians did. When you get to Petoskey, a short portage will connect you to the Inland Waterway, where you will have a smoother passage than if you continued along the shore and under the Mackinaw Bridge into Lake Huron. There are a couple of inland lakes along the way that can get pretty rough, but nothing like the Great Lakes. You will pass through one small lock on the Crooked River, unless it's still (or again) closed for repairs, in which case you can portage around it. When you get into Cheboygan, there is a public boat launch just past the Lincoln Avenue Bridge on your right, which is about three miles from Beaglesonia. Give me a call, and I'll come pick you up.

If you choose to go the whole Great Lakes route, you can paddle right up the Cheboygan River about a mile, go through the lock, and the boat launch I told you about will be on your left, just before the Lincoln Avenue Bridge. The structure at the mouth of the river is not a lock, it's just a break wall. If you want to avoid paddling upstream against a current that can be pretty stiff at times, go to the right of the break wall instead of up the river. There you will find a nice sandy beach from whence you can call me to come get you.

I'm sorry, but my hypothetical wife will be no help to us at all. She just hates the kind of conversations we have at the institute, probably like the wife of the Greek guy who founded the Skeptic School of philosophy. The word "skeptic" comes from a Greek word that means "porch", which is where they used to gather for their discussions because their hypothetical wives wouldn't tolerate that crap inside the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment