Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Groups in the News

Fundraising

Sarah Palin headlined four "Liberty at the Ballot Box" bus tours, to raise money for candidates and the Tea Party Express. One of the tours visited 30 towns and covered 3,000 miles.[216] Following the formation of the Tea Party Caucus, Michele Bachmann raised $10 million for a political action committee, MichelePAC, and sent funds to the campaigns of Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell, Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio.[217] In September 2010, the Tea Party Patriots announced it had received a $1,000,000 USD donation from an anonymous donor.[218]

Support of Koch brothers

In an August 30, 2010, article in The New Yorker, Jane Mayer said that the brothers David H. Koch and Charles G. Koch and Koch Industries provided financial support to one of the organizations that became part of the Tea Party movement through Americans for Prosperity. [219][220] The AFP's "Hot Air Tour" was organized to fight against taxes on carbon use and the activation of a cap and trade program.[221] Former U.K. ambassador Sir Christopher Meyer wrote in the Daily Mail that the Tea Party movement is a mix of "grassroots populism, professional conservative politics, and big money", the last supplied in part by the Kochs.[222] A Koch Industries company spokesperson issued a statement saying "No funding has been provided by Koch companies, the Koch foundation, or Charles Koch or David Koch specifically to support the tea parties".[223]

I got this from the same Wiki article I referenced yesterday. Copying it here has apparently done something to the text format, and I can't seem to get it back the way it was, so this will have to do. I noticed that the statement I quoted yesterday has been edited a little, but it still says basically that the Tea Party was propelled to fame by the election of President Obama. All I really know about these guys is what I have read and seen on the news, so if you want to know more about them, I suggest you read the Wiki article for yourself. I am not, nor have I ever been, a card carrying member of any Tea Party organization.

Okay, now it's worse. I can have this size or this size, but nothing in between. Maybe it will straighten out when I go away and come back tomorrow.

My access to the news media has recently been diminished because we have allowed our subscription to the Cheboygan Daily Tribune to expire. The paper was bought out by an outfit in the Upper Peninsula some time ago, and they seem to be deliberately running it into the ground. The are engaging in deceptive billing practices, and have moved the printing operation from Cheboygan, where it has been for over a century, to Sault Ste. Marie, laying off ten local people in the process. There is no other local paper in the region that duplicates the coverage of the Tribune, and the Detroit Free Press is way to big for our tastes. I don't know how I'm going to fill that void. I can get much of the national and international stuff from Wiki, but I don't know what I'm going to do about state and local coverage. I hate to increase my viewing of the TV news because I think that's where I get my bad attitude about minority groups. Besides, my hypothetical wife would never stand for it, she just hates the TV News, says it's too depressing.

I'm sure I've told you before that I have nothing against individual minority people, it's when they form themselves into groups that I get paranoid about them. Of course the news doesn't tell you about the millions of ordinary people who live their lives without causing any trouble. Every time you see these people on the TV they are swarming in a big mob and making a public spectacle of themselves. One gets the impression that they must breed like rabbits and are hell bent on crowding the rest of us right off the planet. Truth be known, I probably don't have anything they want, but I feel sorry for anybody who does.

Isn't there a place to keep a boat right under your building? I thought that's why they call it "Marina City". Other tall buildings have parking garages under them, I thought yours had a marina. I always wanted to live on waterfront property, but it's quite expensive and usually quite crowded. We have the best of both worlds here. When the snow melts in the spring, or we get a lot of rain, we can look out our windows and see ducks and geese swimming around in front of our house. My hypothetical wife insists that a muck hole in the swamp does not qualify as waterfront, but she doesn't recognize Beaglesonian sovereignty either. Women ain't got no imagination at all!

Muzzle loader season ended Sunday. I only went hunting twice out of a possible ten days, and didn't see anything. I've been really tired lately, and just getting through the everyday chores has been about all I could handle. The weather didn't help any, we've usually got snow on the ground by now and deer season, like Christmas, doesn't seem quite right without it. I'm not complaining, you understand. If all the rain we've been getting would have been snow we'd be buried alive by now, and that's no fun either.











No comments:

Post a Comment