Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2015

Moose in Michigan

The plural of moose is moose, just like the plural of deer is deer. There are probably a few stray moose in the Upper Peninsula, but the picture you saw was probably taken at Isle Royale National Park. It's located on an island in Lake Superior, and is closer to Canada than it is to Michigan. I understand it's the least visited national park in the country, and the only one in Michigan. There are no facilities there, if you go there you have to bring all your own gear and supplies. A ferry boat goes out there about once a week in the summer, they drop you off, and then you're pretty much on your own. I don't know what they do about emergencies, I've never heard of anybody having to be rescued from there. The park is managed as a wilderness area with a strict policy of non-intervention. I don't know if they even allow fishing.

I don't remember if moose were re-introduced on Isle Royale or if they have always been there, but the wolves came in on their own, probably crossing on the ice from Canada. At first the rangers were going to kill the wolves to protect the moose, but it was decided to just let Nature take its course and see what happened. I don't know how long this experiment has been going on, but I remember reading about it when I was quite young. The wolf population is currently at a low ebb, possibly the result of inbreeding, and the moose population is eating itself out of house and home. The park managers have considered bringing in some outside wolves to freshen up the gene pool but, last I heard, it was decided to continue the non-intervention experiment since it had been going on for so long.

Cheboygan and Sheboygan are probably the same Indian word meaning "passage". The difference in spelling is because the Indians didn't have a written language, and most of the early European explorers were barely literate themselves. Also, diverse dialects were spoken among the various Indian bands, even though they might be from the same tribe. I'm pretty sure that Wisconsin has the same tribes we do, Chippewa and Ottawa. There used to be a third tribe, the Potawatami, but they were pretty well exterminated by warfare. All three tribes called themselves "Anishinabe", which means "The Real People", and had a loose confederation called "The Three Fires Council".

No point in putting up a sign at the entrance to Beaglesonia. Nobody comes here, and we'd like to keep it that way.

We have a nice bookstore in Cheboygan, and they can order anything they don't have in stock, although nowadays it's just as easy to order it yourself online.

I went hunting Sunday, didn't see anything but had a nice nap. I stayed home today waiting for a call about the brakes on my truck. They finally called at 4:30 PM and said the parts didn't come in today, "possibly tomorrow". Well, I think I'll possibly go hunting tomorrow, and they can possibly call me whenever I'm possibly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment