Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Fat Cats and Alley Cats

Your ilk is always accusing my ilk of buying elections. So what's better, stealing them? I suppose you're right that there are more fat cat Republicans than fat cat Democrats. So what's wrong with that? Like you said, those guys didn't become rich by being stupid. Does that mean that there are more intelligent Republicans than intelligent Democrats? Of course virtue does not always accompany wealth and intelligence, but it doesn't always accompany poverty and ignorance either. Your friend Obama said something a long time ago that makes sense: "We don't need bigger government, we don't need smaller government, we need better government." True as far as it goes, but then we need to define "better", because one man's better is another man's worse.

I remember you saying something about George Soros once, but I have never heard of him before or since. Like I said, you follow that stuff a lot more then I do.

I don't remember seeing a lot about the Tea Party on TV, but I'm pretty sure that I never saw them wearing any kind of costumes. We have a local chapter here in Cheboygan, I've never seen them on TV, but I have read about them in our local paper. They seem to be focused on local issues, and routinely attend city and county board meetings to speak against some local boondoggle proposal. I have never heard of them conducting street demonstrations or otherwise making a spectacle of themselves. They write letters to the editor and their leader occasionally writes a guest column in our local paper.

The opinion page is the only thing in that paper that I'm going to miss. They print all kinds of opinions there, even opinions that are critical of the paper itself. Hopefully, after they get their tax write off, or whatever it is they are hoping to accomplish by running the paper into the ground, somebody will buy the paper and restore it. It would be shame to see over a century of journalistic tradition perish from the Earth. It never was a perfect paper, rumor has it that it was once nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for typographical errors, but it was our paper.

If you take a closer look at Mullet Lake, you will see a narrow channel that goes from the north end of the lake through Cheboygan and out into Lake Huron. This is the Cheboygan River. Be sure to bear left when you come to the Forks, or you will end up in Black Lake instead. The Black river is wider than the Cheboygan river at that point, and it looks like it should be the main channel, but it's actually a dead end. Crooked Lake, near Petoskey, is also a dead end at the other end of the inland Waterway, where the Indians used to portage. I understand that there was a proposal at one time to cut a channel from there to Lake Michigan, but it never came to pass.

Our local stores carry all kinds of craft beer, and we even have our own craft brewery in town. I tried some of their beer once in a restaurant, but it was some kind of amber crap and I didn't like it. I try to patronize our local businesses as much as possible, but not to the point that I will drink beer that I don't like just because it's local. If they ever come out with a good yellow beer, I will buy it, even if it's more expensive than Milwaukee's Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment