Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Pilsner Urquell si, Capri pants no.

I think the reason I brought up the fact that the current tea party is largely funded by fat cats was a way of slamming it for its grass roots pretensions.  I'm guessing at the beginning it was more of a grass roots thing, there were organizations that people joined and they went out a-protesting or something, anyway you used to see them on tv making a spectacle of themselves.  You know those hats, I have slammed them, but actually they are kind of cool, and a puffy shirt isn't all that bad, but those Capri pants, I have to say, even though our founding fathers proudly strutted around in them, not very manly in my humble opinion.

And it seems like they did use to protest the fat cats back in those days, and even though it was pretty clear that they would never ever vote for a democrat, they pretended to be outside the party system.  And it seems like there were actual tea party organizations back in the day.  I don't think they went in for carrying cards, not their style, but I think they used to endorse candidates.  You don't see that anymore. 

Anymore it is a top down sort of thing, the candidate declares himself a tea party kind of guy and then the fat cats back him and buy ads and  then voters of that ilk vote for him.

There are Democrat fat cats.  Remember when George Soros was the devil?  Whatever happened with that?  You never hear about him anymore.  I don't have the wiki research at my fingertips but I'll gladly wager that the reps have far more and far richer fat cats than the dems.

But is having fat cats pour unlimited money into campaigns wrong?  I think it is.  I think it violates the one man one vote principle because in the shouting match of debate some of us have just one of those cones and others have big amps like a rock band.

But is that effective?  I think I agree with you here, i don't think it makes much difference in like a presidential campaign where both sides are spending bazillions and the ads come in blizzards so you can't hardly tell which side is which.  Look a poor Jeb! (the explanation for the ! is that it makes him more exciting, but one wag has pointed out that calling it brocolli! does not make it bbq ribs) he started out with way more money then the rest of the clowns, and as the crown prince clown will gladly tell you, he is at three percent.

But I think it makes a lot of difference in the down ballot races, certainly it is not that hard to buy a close state rep seat, and then you can control the state house and come reapportionment time gerrymand it to beat the band and gain some federal representatives.  And that money just sloshes around and helps the candidate in various ways.  And these fat cats are always fighting to get legislation passed that will allow them to give more, and if they were dumb would they be rich?

You know I saw that when I was mapping out my route, that little hat that the state of Michigan seems to be wearing (is there a name for that?) and there is sort of a line of lakes and rivers from Petosky to Mullet Lake, but I wasn't sure if it went clear through.

I guess all I have to do now is find a collapsible canoe I can get into the elevator and buy a case of Dinty Moore.  If I don't eat it all I will be glad to share when I get there.  But no yellow beer.  Any local craft beer pale ale will be fine, or maybe you could stock some Pilsner Urquell, the beer of the homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment