Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

 So I don't know where I got the idea that the country was divided on the terrorism issue, unless it was from Face Book. I only go there once a week to see what my relatives have been up to. My daughter told me that, if you "like" something or reply to it, the Face Book Gods will make sure that you see more of it. It must be true, because all the stuff from my daughter, grand daughter, and a certain artist in Chicago is usually at the top, which is good but, when I scroll down to the secondary stuff, I see a lot of liberal propaganda that stands against everything I believe in. I'm sure that I could find a right wing nut site that trends to the opposite extreme, but I wouldn't find any of my relatives there, so I don't bother looking.

I didn't see a dime's worth of difference between Gore and W, but I had my Libertarian blinders on in those days. Looking back on it, Gore believed in global warming and W didn't, but that's about it. Why do you find it so hard to believe that I was a card carrying member of the Libertarian Party for more than a decade? No, that is not just a figure of speech, they sent me a new membership card every year when I paid my dues. On the other hand, you keep insisting that I am a Tea Partier when I have already told you that I am not now, nor have I ever have been, a member of any Tea Party organization. I considered joining them when they first came out, but they were marching in the streets in those days, making a public spectacle of themselves, so I suspected that they were not much different from the liberals. I also remembered that I had ultimately quit every organization to which I had ever belonged because they eventually did something of which I didn't approve. I don't have the time or the energy to go to meetings anymore anyway.

This year is not really an election year you know. The reason it always seems like an election year is that we are subject to their haranguing almost all the time between election years. It's like the holidays, as soon as one is finished they start on the next one. Sports is like that too. I don't follow sports, but I seem to remember that there were separate seasons for baseball, football, and basketball. Now it seems like the seasons all overlap each other, including such formerly obscure sports as hockey, soccer, golf, and marathon running. I suppose, with so many sports, they have to overlap the seasons to get them all done in one year. Maybe it's the same for the politicians, it does seem like there are a lot more of them than there used to be.

I was kidding about the texting and the telescope, but I didn't know that you already have a telescope. When you think about it, though, it's that kind of stuff that has replaced the "howdy neighbor" of the old front porch and back fence days, and that's not all bad either. What's good about it is, if you don't particularly like your neighbors, you can skip over them and talk to whomever you want, no matter how far away they live. I get along fine with my neighbors, but I don't have nearly as much in common with them as I have with a certain artist in Chicago. (We won't mention his name, he knows who he is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment