Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2015

That's About Right

"So is it okay to give the middle east to the Russkies because the people there are not as decent as the Ukrainians?" - Yep, that's about right. Truth be known, I don't know for a fact that the Ukrainians are decent people, but I have never heard or read anything bad about them, which is more than I can say for the Muslims. Well, not all the Muslims, just the extremist ones that are always causing trouble. Thing is, Russia wants to rule somebody, and the Middle Eastern countries need to be ruled by somebody. So why not match them up? Sounds like a win-win to me. The Ukrainians just want to be left alone, and they seem to be leaving everybody else alone. What's not to like about them?

While we're on the subject, I looked up ISIS over the weekend. According to Wiki, their goal is simply to take over the world, first the Muslim world and then the rest of the world. Their apocalyptic beliefs enter into it somewhere, but I'm not sure if they hope to bring on their version of the Apocalypse by taking over the world, or if they expect their version of the Apocalypse to enable them to take over the world but, one way or another, they want to take over the world and have an apocalypse where the bad guys are triumphant over the good guys. They have this guy they call the "Caliph" which, as near as I can tell, is their version of the Pope, or the Antichrist, or something like that, and they expect him to lead them to victory.

I seem to remember voting for at least one Democrat besides Wallace in my life. Stan McKervey had been Cheboygan County Sheriff for decades before I moved here. He was kind of like Andy of Mayberry on TV, and very popular. Then this smart aleck came up from Down Below, where he had been a Chief of Police or something, and ran against Stan on the Republican ticket. I'm pretty sure that I voted for Stan, but the smart aleck won, and then proceeded to piss everybody off. By the end of his first term, people were ready to put Stan back in office, but he had suffered a heart attack or something and declined to run. People around here generally vote Republican, but Stan was a Democrat, and the exception that proved the rule. Like I said, if Trump gets the Republican nomination I might have to vote for the Libertarian presidential candidate, but I'll still vote Republican for everything else.

Now that you mention  it, I don't think the Republicans gave me a card when I joined them, they just put my name in a book or something. I joined for a year, and I don't remember them asking me to renew after that, which I wouldn't have anyway. I'm sure the other two parties of which I was a member gave me cards, but I don't think I have any old ones that I saved. There must be a way to join the Democratic Party, otherwise how do they determine who is eligible to vote in their caucuses? The Democrats in Michigan chose their presidential candidates by caucuses instead of primaries for a long time, ever since Michigan voted for Wallace in 1972, but they must have changed back recently because I remember Obama being on the primary ballot last time. I'm sure that some states still use caucuses because I've heard it mentioned on TV.

The idea of the multinational corporations running the world is part of our folklore, and there's probably some truth to it. I used to believe that they and the government were all in it together, but now I'm not so sure. It might be that rich and powerful people just hang out together because they have a lot in common. They seem to be in competition with each other but, I suppose, deals are struck from time to time, just like national governments form alliances only to betray their allies whenever it becomes convenient to do so. I hate to tell you this, Uncle Ken, but everybody is not as nice as you and I.







No comments:

Post a Comment