Search This Blog

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Cindy crying in the chapel and is that the Rev's hand on Sally's knee?

I have to admit that I am a little unsure of the writing of the bible thing.  I think that council just edited the New Testament and not the old.  I had to go to the wiki to make sure of that, and it seems to say that the Council of Nicea didn't have much to do with the bible so I am going to leave the matter up to the scholar.

But I do take a little umbrage at the slight on my writing.  You know it was just a sketch, just a proposal.  I was still unsure of what exactly the bombshell was, and in fact I still am.  That Revelation convolution of the resurrection (yes I meant that instead of reconstruction, I've got to be a little more careful when choosing among spellcheck's options), just doesn't seem like that big a deal.  The good still get rewarded, the bad punished, God triumphs, what's not to like?  Were you in that big a hurry to meet dear Aunt Rosie?  You'd be asleep anyway, so it would be like right after you died to you.

I'm pretty sure you were going to go to Alaska regardless of the bombshell, but in the novel that would be what drove Ben, the butcher's son, to the wilds, while poor Cindy was left behind with his ring on her finger.  And Sally O'Maye, well you know she was doing something.

Have you ever heard of Wise Blood?  It's a book/movie by Flannery O'Connor.  It involves a disillusioned Christian who starts his own church, The Holy Church of Christ Without Christ, where the lame don't walk, and the blind don't see, and the dead stay that way,  Well we were talking about rewriting the bible and writing in general.

Jews overthrowing their Greek overlords?  Must have been Alexander, actually a Macedonian but I imagine he looked like a Greek to the Jews.  Everybody was vulnerable to the Roman Empire in that day whether they were squabbling internally or not.  And the Jews would have done well within the Empire if they weren't so churchy and so prudish.

Yes, by morality I mean intuitive altruism and not the rules and regs.  I certainly think people make up their own religions because wherever you find people you find religion.  I believe if it wasn't one founding father it would have been some other guy.

Aha, you made me lose my religion.  Well not quite, but the reason my folks dropped the church was that they wanted all that money to build the new church, well that and the fact that I was already out of it, and both my sisters were getting bored with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment