Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2015

shave your face and your mind with Occam's razor

That's good, that I didn't have to read the bible.  i did pull it over to my lazy boy and opened it up and tried to read a little bit, but it was awfully slow going, there was no rush to get to any point.

What were we taught at Elsdon about the afterlife?  The impression I left with was that as long as you didn't do anything awfully terrible once you died you would almost immediately go to heaven where one of the big moments would be meeting up with those who went before you, and after that it was pretty vague though probably churchy.  Of course I didn't pay a lot of attention to what was being said, so maybe that is all stuff that I picked up from the common culture.

I'm sure you know that in Jesus's time there were all sorts of sects and cults in the land and some of them I think had some idea of immortality.  John sounds like an essene doesn't he, hanging in the desert and eating locusts and honey?  Isn't he the guy who got his head chopped off and put on a platter for Salome, was it?  Odd thing for a young hottie to want, but they didn't have Cadillacs back in that day.

I didn't say there weren't some Israelis in Egypt.  I just said they weren't all taken there en masse and then broke out en masse later.

This is the first I've heard of the late bronze age collapse.  It was all over wiki but the consensus seemed to be that there was no consensus as to what caused it.  I suppose if you want to fabricate an explanation for something that probably never happened one theory is as good as another.  But haven't you ever heard of Occam's razor?

I don't know why none of those big shaving houses has never come up with a razor named Occam's.  Not only is your face smooth of fuzz, but your mind is cleared of all those fuzzy thoughts also. Babes go for a guy with a smooth face and an uncluttered mind.

Overrun by Mexicans, is that like them taking over?  I don't see many states with Mexican governors or senators or anything.  And you do realize that one of the big reasons that those guys were holed up in the Alamo was that Mexico did not permit slavery and those guys wanted to keep their slaves.  And one of the results of that war and of the Mexican American wars was that lots of Mexicans entered the country.  They didn't go anywhere, we moved the borders.

Maybe that rev Schact was kind of high churchy, i seem to remember that she also introduced communion (grape juice communion, I'm not sure about the wafers) to the church, which caused considerable muttering among the brethren who thought this was awfully close to dressing up like the whore of Babylon.  I wonder what it was like being assigned to Elsdon Methodist.  I can't imagine it was a step up.  There were some Lutherans by 60th and Spaulding, but I can't think of any other protestant churches in our neighborhood.

Saturday nights I watch a DVD and once it's over I smoke some dope and watch it again.  It's always much better the second time around.  I am not sure if it's because I am noticing details that went by me the first time or if it's just because of the dope. 

Along with watching the movie I get all these dope insights which I feel a need to write down right then and there because they are very insightful and important.  The next morning when I am clearing away the beer cans there is my list, and in the light of the morning those issues are not as important as they were when I wrote them down. 

Here's one from Saturday night.  Why is God's morality necessarily better than ours?  This is something I've long wondered.  God does all these terrible things in the bible, and it's just kind of shrugged off as God being God, or that goofy excuse that we cannot know the will of God.  Well if we cannot know His will how do we know that we are pleasing Him when we give to the poor or refrain from fish on Friday?  Sure He's all powerful, but what does that have to do with Him being good.  Hitler, Stalin, and Mao, they were all pretty powerful and nobody anymore thinks they were good. 

So I don't know, how about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment