Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

"Another Country Heard From"

I don't know the origin of that quote, but my hypothetical wife's family used it to respond to a crying baby or anybody who complained about something trivial.

Throughout history, most of the Middle East has been ruled by somebody, they have had little experience being independent nation states. The Turks ruled it for about 500 years after they took it away from the Byzantine Romans. After the Turks lost World War I, The British ruled under a League of Nations mandate, which outlasted the League of Nations itself. By the end or World war II, the Brits were happy to be rid of it, concluding that it was more trouble than it was worth. What that region needs is some major power to knock their heads together and make them play nice. None of the Western powers seem eager to take on that job, so maybe we should encourage the Russians to do it. They did a pretty good job with the Balkans, and look what happened after they left. I was no great fan of the Russians back in the Cold War days but, since Communism crashed and burned, they just might be the lesser of two evils. I think what makes those people so arrogant is their oil. Without oil, they would still be raising goats and riding camels. I think it was American companies that started it all but, somewhere along the way, the natives were allowed to take control of the oil wells. The Russians, mean pricks that they are, and having some experience in the oil business, should be able to set things right in short order. Those people deserve each other.

I don't know what to think about those Trump fans, What are they, nuts? It reminds me of a poll that somebody took when Bill Clinton was running for his second term. I don't remember the numbers, but a lot of the respondents said that they didn't trust Clinton, but they were going to vote for him anyway.

Why is it that, whenever I tell people who I'm voting for, they say, "But he'll never win."? What the hell does that have to do with it? I vote for who I want to win, not who I think is going to win. The guy who is going to win doesn't need my vote anyway but, even if he did, that's no reason to vote for somebody. If I was betting money on the outcome, naturally I'd bet for the guy who I thought was going to win, but I'm not betting money, I'm voting.

How can I be what's wrong with the Republican Party when I'm not even a party member? The Republicans are not my party any more than the Democrats are, they are both included in the "they" group, meaning they are not me. I am "me" and they are "they". Why is this so hard to understand? 

No comments:

Post a Comment