Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Seattle Experiment

I didn't know that it had been in the news a lot lately.  Like I said, I only saw a brief thing about it on the TV news the other day, and then I saw the article on my news app last night.  What I find interesting about it is that those people seem to be doing just fine without a police presence.  If they can sustain this for awhile, it might become a prototype for a whole new system of urban governance.  So far it sounds like they have been successful in dealing with drunks and mental patients, but how they will do dealing with hard core criminals remains to be seen.  Then again, there might not be many hard core criminals in that neighborhood, and all they would need to do is keep new ones from coming in.  Maybe that's what the barricades are for.  It sounds like it's a close knit community so, if they stick together, they just might be able to pull this thing off.  I'm rooting for them at this point, but I might change my mind as more information comes in.  One thing I don't know is why the police evacuated in the first place.  Were they ordered to do it, or did they just discuss it among themselves and decide that was the best course of action?

Today I remembered that time when Uncle Ken and I got two different interpretations from the same site.  He said it showed that there are no more illegal immigrants, as a percentage of the population, in the country now than there ever was.  What I found was that they weren't just counting illegals, they were counting all non-citizens, legal, illegal, permanent, and temporary.  I seem to remember questioning the validity of the numbers as well, because the US census doesn't ask you whether or not you are a citizen, but I don't remember how that was resolved.

Uncle Ken, are you aware that a preliminary draft of your last post somehow got posted?  I was going to delete it for you, but I thought you might want to make that decision yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment