Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2020

A Simpler Solution

I read about this on my news app yesterday, but the story is no longer there, so this one will have to do.  I'm sure that my esteemed colleagues have heard about this by now anyway.

"The roundtable comes on the heels of Minneapolis City Council announcing Sunday that it would disband the city's police force in the wake of Floyd's death and long-standing issues with police conduct."

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB15d85O?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

This is brilliant!  Now why didn't I think of it?  The easiest way to eliminate police brutality is simply to eliminate the police.   As that Greek guy who invented the razor used to say, the most obvious explanation is usually the correct one.  Trump says he won't allow it, but I don't think he has anything to say about it.  He could cut off their federal aid but, if there is no police force, the federal aid has no place to go anyway.

*********************************************************************************

I'm not sure about toilet bowl cleaner, but I have heard that bleach will kill the action in your septic tank if you use a lot of it.  Most modern tanks have a thousand gallon capacity, so a little bleach now and then doesn't hurt anything.  I'm not sure how much bleach it would take to poison a thousand gallon tank.  We don't even use bleach in our laundry, but I think most modern detergents have some bleach in them.  In the old days, "grey water" from the kitchen and laundry went into a separate drainage system, but codes nowadays require that it all goes into the septic tank.  I suppose that's why yeast or other products that enable fermentation have to be added periodically instead of just once when the tank is new.

**********************************************************************************

Uncle Ken and I have been through this "good and evil" thing before, but I don't remember if we ever got anywhere with it.  I still doubt that there is any universal consensus on the definitions of good and evil.  People have been arguing about that since forever, and wars are still being fought over it in some parts of the world.  "The greatest good for the greatest number" sounds noble enough, but who gets to decide what's good for the greatest number?  The Golden Rule sounds simple, but it's not.  What if the others you are doing unto don't want the same things done unto them that you want done unto you?  What if doing unto them what they desire violates your own personal code of ethics?  An old army buddy of mine had his own version of the Golden Rule:  "Do it unto them mothers before them mothers do it unto you."

No comments:

Post a Comment