Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2020

a house divided against itself cannot stand

A house divided against itself cannot stand - Abraham Lincoln.  There's your Occam's razor.  It's stupid idea, it's racist, and it doesn't even make any sense. There is another razor.

The reason that many big cities have mayors who are not white is that many of the whites are not racist and choose to vote for who they think is the best candidate and are not concerned that his or her skin is not the same color as theirs.

We are one nation.  We are not a house divided.


Back in the land of sanity.  As I stood on my balcony watching the cops and the demonstrators a month ago one of my thoughts is isn't this going to increase the pandemic?  Apparently not. There has been no spike.  Apparently the open air made the big difference, and I have to think that the fact that most of them were wearing masks, even though they were yelling through them, was a factor. Now we will have to wait and see what comes out of Trump's Tulsa fiasco.  Of course the fact the hall was only half-filled might mitigate the potential disaster although they did jam themselves tightly together and scarcely a mask to be seen, so we'll see what comes of it.  

Normally you can't keep the Trumpists away from a rally with a baseball bat, so what are we to make of this?  Can people who love Trump still be smart enough to know to stay away from events that will make them sick?  


Here is something strange, you may have read about it, Old Dog may even have experienced it.  Downtown is filled with fireworks almost every night.  Well not filled, but they go off often enough, the ratatat of crackers, the soaring rocket that I can see just feet from my balcony, and the deep dark loud thuds that sound like wartime.  

And the motorcycles.  Used to be they would make an appearance with the coming of warm weather,  but after a week or two they would fade away, but now they are constant.  And sometimes after hearing a lot of roars I will step onto the balcony and see no motorcycles, but looking closely I see that it is, what do they call them these days, hot rods?  They rev at a light and then roar forward the few feet to the next light and then roar forward from that, and they just generally streak through the streets like in those popular movies I never see.  

What are the police doing?  Why aren't they at least making arrests and making examples?  I hate the phrase troubled times, but in these troubled times I reckon they have their hands full.  I rarely see a cop car downtown of late.  I stare into the night with its bangs and roars and wonder who are these people?  I don't know.


Movie time.  Watched Sling Blade again Saturday night.  I liked it as much as I have the couple times I have before, though my sister did not care for it.  I know Beagles rarely watches movies, so I am wondering if Old Dog saw it.  Trying to get some culture into The Institute to break the tedium of Beagles and myself yammering.

PS, how do you like this font?  All I did was go up a notch on font size (the two T's in that menu at the top) and it makes it so much easier for me to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment