Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

something to do

These postings by Old Dog are too short and too few, little breaks of, I don't know, folksy charm, between boring and often ill-tempered Beagles and myself.  I wrote a couple weeks ago about the possibility of getting a new commentator, a woman who I had known briefly at dear old Gage Park, and had been reading our posts and I almost had her to the point of making a comment every now and then (every breath of fresh air is well, a breath of fresh air in the stale halls of The Institute), but I don't think we are going to see her toe in the water.  She did ask me to pass along to Old Dog how much she appreciates his postings.  I thought he would like to know.

The caravans seem to have disappeared like the will o the wisps that they pretty much always were.  My great crusade, where I was entirely in the right, I hasten to add, about allowing Marina City residents to have Christmas lights of any hue they choose is a battle unwon.  In the real world
David does not often defeat Goliath and so it went last year.  It took a lot out of me and I do not want to go back to it.

Yes we boomers do appear to be going out in a crescendo Trump. Covid, civil unrest, big issues filling the newspapers and tv screens like there is nothing else going on, and who knows what the fourth horseman of the apocalypse will be.

The bridges are still up, nothing is going on in my field of vision.  There were some peaceful marches on the north side, and some looting in Cicero and other suburbs, crimes of opportunity I believe with stores emptied because of covid and cops otherwise occupied by the demonstrators.   


I'm still wrestling with the civil unrest, especially with my feelings about it.  I think it's pretty obvious that their cause is just, but are their actions?  Is a peaceful march that does not get much ink less effective than one with destruction and looting which gets a lot of ink?  I think the demonstrators get this feeling that since their cause is just that makes them without sin, and therefore people who are trying to stop them are the sinners so whatever happens to them is something that they deserve.  And those standing on the side, well if you are not on their side then you are against them so again you deserve what you get.

Before this all began I was off on one of my rambling muses on I don't know, good and evil.  I was going to link all this, I don't know, maybe it's something true,. maybe it's just something to do.

Heat wave coming.  Got to get out on the balcony with my paper while it is still cool enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment