Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2020

Common Knowledge

That thing about the snake oil study being withdrawn might have been common knowledge to other people, but not to me.  The first I heard of it was when I read it on my news app, and I decided to share it with my esteemed colleagues.  I never claimed that Trump was a "stable genius" either.  Actually, I thought it was pretty stupid of him to put medicine on his dick to prevent the corona virus.

Before I went into the army in 1964, it was common knowledge that "latex prophylactics" was the fancy name for rubbers.  Anybody who ever saw a rubber machine in a truck stop bathroom knew that.  It occurred to me that there is one of those machines in the bathroom of a local gas station that I frequent (just to buy gas and diesel fuel, my rubber buying days are long gone).  I'll try to remember the next time I go there to check and see if it still says that.  I never heard the word "condom" until after I got out of the army in 1967.  Another common term for rubbers was "Trojans".  Actually, that was a brand name, but it became a generic name for rubbers like "Kleenex" has become a generic name for facial tissue.  It so happens that is also the name of a high school sports team in Traverse City.  The first time I heard of it I said, "Why would they name their team after rubbers?"

That idea about assigning Black cops to Black neighborhoods just came off the top of my head.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but, as Uncle Ken pointed out, it's probably not practical.  Maybe I'll come up with a better idea over the weekend.  As my old friend Oren Bolin used to say,  "Show me a man with a hundred ideas, and I'll show you a man with at least one good idea.  Show me a man with only one idea, and it's probably wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment