Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Oranges to Apples

Apparently, Florida had a big spike in their death count around May 5, which is the publishing date of Uncle Ken's first link.  According to my source, which is the same link I provided recently, Florida had 12 new deaths yesterday, while Illinois had 24.  

Uncle Ken's other two links talked almost exclusively about new cases, not new deaths.  I thought we had agreed that the death count is more relevant because the case count is affected by the rate of testing, which differs from one location to another.  Here's what Uncle Ken's third link said about that:

"The number of deaths due to Covid-19 does not appear to be rising along with the number of confirmed cases, Gottlieb said. However, that could be due to the lag in time it takes for infected people to fall ill, become hospitalized and then die. Gottlieb said he doesn’t think the death rate will rise drastically, as doctors have become better at treating patients and more people who get infected are younger and not as vulnerable as the elderly or those with underlying health conditions.

I know from watching Michigan's daily numbers on TV that both counts can vary widely from day to day because each day's count includes cases that happened previously but were not reported immediately.  That's why I think that total numbers are more relevant when comparing one state to another.

One of Uncle Ken's links talked about contact tracing.  I remember shortly after the corona hit the fan that the cities Down Below were complaining that they didn't have enough staff to do that, but wished that they did.  Some time later, I read in our local paper that the rural counties of Northern Michigan have been doing it all along because our case count was low enough that their existing staff could handle it.

By the way, I did mean "NPR" when I said "PBR".  I seem to have confused it with "PBS", which is on TV, not radio.  I only heard a little bit about Florida on the radio, which inspired me to look it up  online to get more detail.

I saw another brief thing on TV this evening about the Seattle experiment.  I just went looking on my news app for more details, but this was all I could come up with:

"And for the second time in less than 48 hours, there was a shooting in Seattle’s protest zone. A 17-year-old victim was shot late Sunday night in the area known as CHOP, for “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest,” a day after a 19-year-old man was fatally shot and a 33-year-old man critically injured in there."

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB15RyIM?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare


No comments:

Post a Comment