Search This Blog

Monday, June 22, 2020

Some Numbers

I heard on PBR radio today that, while Florida is reporting a big surge in the number of new cases, their daily death toll has been declining for seven weeks.  I just looked it up, and Florida has had 3,173 deaths so far, with a population over 21 million.  Michigan, on the other hand, has had 6,097 deaths with a population of 10 million.  Approximating the math, Michigan has had almost twice as many deaths as Florida with less than half the population.  Illinois has had 6,671 deaths with a population of 13 million, which puts it in the ballpark with Michigan.  Arizona, with a population of 7 million, has had 1,342 deaths, which is substantially less than Michigan in proportion to population.  Texas, with a population of 29 million, has had only 2,192 deaths, which is even less per capita.  Math always was my weak subject, so there might be an error in my approximations.  Would Uncle Ken like to point it out to me?

I saw on my news app that Seattle is pulling the plug on its autonomous neighborhood experiment because the citizens are starting to shoot at each other.  I don't know the details because my app is acting glitchy tonight and wouldn't let me access the whole story.  Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment