Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

seattle

I was speaking per capita when I mentioned the soaring corona rates in Arizona, Texas, and Florida.  Which are likely the kind of rates that Michigan would be suffering if it had a Trumpist governor.  Or maybe not.  Most of the states surrounding true blue Illinois have Trumpist govs. and though they are not doing as well as Illinois, at the current time, they are not doing so badly.  Maybe the thing is govs can mandate this or that but it doesn't mean that the people will obey.  Sober midwestern folk will tend to wear masks to protect themselves and their friends and neighbors rather than the yahoos of those other states who prefer to breathe free and die. 

That thing about the windows of the school bus is along the lines of something I was speaking of a couple posts about ago.  This country is so divided currently that one side is gathering breath to disagree before the other side has begun to speak.  I am not unguilty of this unfortunate reaction.  Of course I think I am right, and I think I could make my case logically, but I should at least pause to listen to what the other side is saying.  Like Beagles says we don't even care whether the windows are open or closed as long as our tribe wins. 


This Seattle situation has been going on for some time now and has been much reported on and discussed so I wonder what attribute of it Beagles is trying to bring to our attention.

Is it the use of the term they?  This is the new non binary third person pronoun.  It was chosen because it is gender neutral, but sometimes you don't know how many people they are talking about. I would prefer a completely new word, maybe something taken from the classic Greek or Latin, but come to think of it that would be too dead white men.  Maybe something African since that is where we came from.

Is it the AR-15?  It's not widely known but some lefties are gun nuts too.  I don't approve, I think a baseball bat would have been just as effective.  But you know those guys who own AR-15s, they don't just fantasize about blowing away people and large targets at the gun range, they also just like to brandish them. just too, I don't know.

Is it that they are anarchists?  That reminds me of a story Orwell told about the Spanish civil war.  At first his unit was anarchist.  All the soldiers were equal and before they took a hill they had to take a vote on it.  It was a lot of fun, but not very effective.  Later the commies took it over and that was a top down organization which was more effective, but not fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment