Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2020

voting in a time of virus

Of course nobody is blaming the corona virus on Trump any more than anybody blamed Bush for hurricane Katrina.  What Bush was blamed for was his inept response to it, and likewise Trump's response to the corona virus.  It's one thing to get all fired up over all the bogeymen at one of his rallies but when he shows up bedside and you are really sick, well that is another. 

From what I hear it is the population boom in Africa and Asia that is causing these pandemics.  A lot of animals that used to live far away from man have now been invaded and their exotic diseases have rubbed off on us.  Hard to believe that we are at the mercy of this tiny little thing that doesn't even have a brain.  Nothing to do about it but eye your neighbors suspiciously and wash your hands at every opportunity.

I have never envied Beagles's swamp, and I don't now, but it is certainly a good place to be during the pandemic.  Yesterday coming back from a long walk I passed by the news crawl on State Street. and the word was that they had discovered another Chicagoan with it.  Damn no information on where he lived or what hospital he was in.  Well shit, I live downtown, everybody comes downtown for something.  It's hard to believe that I won't come in contact with it no matter what I do. 

People have always died of the flu.  We didn't notice it when we were kids because it mostly killed old people who didn't move too much in our social circles.  And now we are them.  I heard at first that likely victims would be the old and specifically those with um, conditions.  Conditions?  What conditions?  Don't we old folks all have some kind of condition?  I had a hard time finding out what those conditions were, but when I finally did they were pretty severe and I didn't have any of them. so that made me feel a little better, although every day I get older and older, and well, you know something is going to knock me off.


So, big election in Michigan tomorrow, kind of a do or die (although these are always fungible) for Bernie.  Won't be a big deal for Beagles because he will be voting for some libertarian nebbish whose name he had a hard time keeping straight.  I wonder if he will be driving in to bustling, corona brimming Cheboygan to cast his ballot or has he done early voting with an envelope and a stamp. 

It will probably be all over by the time I vote, probably for Biden, a very bad man the Bernie people keep telling me, but I am going to be overlooking that for what I see as a better chance of beating Trump.  Bernie has vowed to back Biden if Biden wins, and Biden has vowed to back Bernie if Bernie wins, but some followers of both see the other side as the son o satan, and that causes me worry, when I am not worrying about that virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment