Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

shutting down the shutdown

Did a little more research (wiki) on this guy Bernie Taupin who wrote the words to Elton's songs.  They were not as distant from each other as I had thought.  And I guess it's not rare.  I remember hearing about famous Broadway lyricists and composer partnerships,  I think Rogers and Hammerstien were some such partners.  I still don't understand how it works.  Well I don't really understand music.  I like it well enough, it has its power over me, but I don't understand the mechanics at all. 


I've had a similar problem with my computer.  Originally I had Kaspersky, but now I have, well shit I am not sure.  Once a year I get a notice to renew it and I pay that to Best Buy where I bought the computer and everything seems to be working okay.  But Kaspersky never seems to have gone away.  Every now and then I used to get popups telling me to renew my Kaspersky, and when I asked the guy at Best Buy what to do about it, he said don't worry about it.  Its popups keep popping up though it no longer asks me to renew. 

Actually I'm not sure if the ghost of Kaspersky is responsible but I have had a problem with pages taking forever to load and then there is this thing where I am typing a letter and the letters stop showing up on the page, but if I keep on typing they will eventually appear.  There was a point a few months ago when it was getting really bad, and I have had the machine for over five years so I was thinking of buying a new one, but then there was some kind of crisis with it that involved shutting it down and since then it has run more smoothly.  I don't understand it anymore than I understand how those lyricists composer pairs work.


You know I wondered about those tea party types who would rail about paying taxes and say that gummint could have their gun when they pry it from their cold dead hands and just generally hate gummint and defy it, and then one day the gummint (state and local) closes down all the bars and restaurants and those guys meekly say, "Yes sir." 

There;s more to this closing down of bars and restaurants than Uncle Ken not being able to socialize with his sister, and hang out with his beer-drinking buddies.  There are all those people losing their jobs and companies going bankrupt.  And there is the cost of bailing out all those folks, and where is that money coming from?  What of the economy?  It is like we are taking a two (or more) month vacation (and not one that is any fun) from business as usual.  Can we just do that?  What kind of world will we wake up to when it is over?  Some Mad Max kind of world?

Dems are pretty solidly for the shutdown, well we are gummint types.  On the Trump side it seems right now that most of them are for it, but there is an increasingly vocal segment who are all like fuck it, most people will survive corona, why don't we just go on as usual and not wreck our economy to save them?  A prominent Foxie, Bret Hume, has just said that the grandparents should lay down their lives so that their grandkids can have a booming stock market.

Trump never did like the shutdown because it made it obvious that he fucked up and let corona get a good foothold, and now he is testing the waters with his idea of ending the shutdown by Easter and then filling the churches one and all because as we all know, he is like the greatest Christian that has ever been.

It's all kind of incoherent now, but I see a big fight on all this coming down the pike.

No comments:

Post a Comment