Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

One County Away

Uncle Ken is right, I didn't understand but, thanks to his last post, I think I do now.  I seem to remember feeling that way about people in my younger days, but it was a long time ago, and I have  since transitioned out of it.  It wasn't any one incident, just that, over time, I began noticing that I was having more negative experiences than positive ones, and I found myself having less energy to wade through the negative to get to the positive.

This Corona thing is getting to be uncomfortably huge.  It seems like only yesterday there were no cases in Michigan, then there were a few cases down by Detroit, and now there is a case in neighboring Otsego County.  The good news is that most victims tend to recover and survive.  The bad news is that most of them who don't are old folks like us.  I'm trying not to worry too much about it since there's not much I can do about it.  It's kind of like the nuclear holocaust we were anticipating when we were kids, either it will get you or it won't.  No need to be reckless about it, but you've got to get on with your life as best you can.  You can't just crawl into a hole, bend over, and kiss your ass goodbye.

I find it hard to believe that people are still panic buying toilet paper but, last I heard, they still were.  Our local paper mill, which now specializes in toilet paper, was getting requests to sell it directly to the public, which they have never done before.  They finally agreed to hold a public sale today for four hours.  There was a thing in the paper telling people what streets to line up on so as to minimize disruption of the traffic flow on Main Street.  There was going to be a police presence to insure law, order, and public safety.  Purchases would be limited to five cases per customer.  Why in the world would anybody want five cases of the stuff?  We always buy the large economy size and, when it's about half gone, we buy another one.  We haven't even opened the package I bought on Saturday, probably won't for several days yet, and don't plan on buying any more till that one is half gone.  We do that with most of our non-perishables because it's cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

As Red Green used to say,  "Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together."  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment