Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2020

Checking in

I think we don't hear near enough from Old Dog and I like to encourage his participation.

Well, Uncle Ken, you can be a big pain in the ass and I get the impression you like to troll and start arguments.  And then I wonder how you can totally misunderstand what has been written.

For instance, you wrote:
Old Dog had written of Elton John and how he wrote the music then sent it off to somebody else, who wasn't even that close a friend.

But what I wrote was:
In his case, the words came first, courtesy of Bernie Taupin.  He'd crank out the lyrics and Elton would put them to music.

And the statement "...who wasn't even that close a friend."; where did that come from?  Is this something new that was pulled out of thin air?  I don't get it.

-----

Spring has indeed sprung and I was wondering what kind of winter weather the good folks of Beaglesonia had to endure.  Did you run out of firewood, or did I already ask that question?  This past winter seemed awfully mild to me, with no prolonged periods of bitter cold or excessive snowfall.

-----

I don't understand the need to drive eighty miles for toilet paper unless it was a small store owner looking to score a bulk purchase.  Last summer we discussed toilet paper usage, something about how many rolls per week the average American uses and I thought a roll lasted me a couple of weeks or so.  I was way off the mark; I've been tracking usage since then and I found out that a one thousand sheet roll of the cheap single-ply Scott tissue lasts me 53 days, on average.  That is crazy, since the package states that it will last one week and it lasts me more than seven.  I can't explain it but twenty sheets a day doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

-----

This self-quarantine business hasn't caused me any hardship yet.  There are minimal shortages at the two supermarkets within walking distance and I have a couple of carry-out restaurants nearby open for business.  The local Kwik-E-Mart/Liquor store is very well stocked but I think they've raised their prices a little.  The streets are very quiet, which is nice, with fewer cars and trucks on the road.

Uncle Ken, is Marina City all by itself as a residential building in your neighborhood or do other buildings nearby provide housing?  And, living on the river as you do, have you ever done any catch-and-release fishing?  Seems like a nice way to pass the time, having a baited hook in the water while you paint or draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment