Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2020

Curiouser and Curiouser

I really don't know what to make of this Corona thing.  In my younger days I would have labeled it a Communist plot, but those were simpler times.  True, it did come out of Red China, but lots of things come out of Red China, and Red China isn't as red as it used to be.  Red China, Italy, and Donald Trump have been accused of doing too little too late, so it's possible that all these draconian measures are just attempts to prove that somebody is doing something, even if they don't know what they're doing.  I have not heard of any science that guarantees these programs will be effective but, to be fair, they are breaking new ground here.  Historically, the closest thing to this was that Spanish flu thing at the end of World War I.  I'm not sure if anybody did anything about it, I think it just ran its course, but the tools and tactics of today were not available back then.

Our governor has closed the public schools for three weeks, although one of those weeks was already budgeted in as spring break.  It was announced today that she has ordered the bars and restaurants to close, but I think it's only till the end of the month.  Come next month she will probably re-evaluate the situation and go from there.  How long people will tolerate this remains to be seen.  The panic buying certainly can't go on forever.  Eventually, everybody's houses will be so full of toilet paper and other goods that there won't be room in there for the residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment