Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2020

Boom and Bust

"But I don't understand Mr. Beagles' supposition that we are in danger of excess population." - Old Dog

This is no supposition on my part, experts have been warning us about this since at least the 1950s.  Like many theories, this one is not universally believed, but all you've got to do to confirm it is look around you.  When any animal overpopulates it's habitat, individuals get cranky and start picking on each other.  This is Mother Nature's way of telling them that it's time to disperse.  If they are unable to expand their territory, the population eventually crashes and the cycle starts all over again.  Rabbits, hares, and lemmings are famous for this, but other creatures  experience it to some degree as well.  Humans have been able to cheat the hangman with improved technology, but that can't go on forever, unless they are able to colonize other planets, which I don't anticipate happening any time soon.  I got a late start tonight but, when I get some time, I'll see what I can find on the internet about it.  Most of my knowledge of the subject was picked up before the internet was invented, but I'm sure there must be something about it out there. 

We don't live within the Cheboygan city limits, so our voting is done at the Benton Township Hall, which is several miles farther from the city than we are.  I don't get around much anymore, so I don't know how concerned the locals are about the Coronavirus, but I made a run to town today, and I didn't see anyone wearing masks.     

No comments:

Post a Comment