Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

primary day in the wolverine state

Nice to see Old Dog at the Institute.  We need somebody to break up Beagles and I busting our heads against each others.  

Sunday night the lake was  shimmering silver blue, which could only mean one thing, a full, or almost full, moon. It was so high up in the sky that my upstairs neighbor's balcony precluded me from seeing it, so I stepped out into the night.  It has not been a particularly harsh winter, but it has been steady, rarely leavened by a few warm days here and there, and here was one.  How pleasant it was too be out in a warmish night.  And then I remembered how all summer long in the mornings I would be sitting in a lawn chair reading the paper and sipping coffee as the sun broke the horizon.

Old Dog opened his post with how nice it must be wake up early in the morning, step outside with a cup of coffee, take a big, deep breath and smile inwardly while thinking how wonderful it is to be alive and reading that I thought why I do that all summer.  Why would I need to live in the swamp for that?  I suppose it would nice to see a bunch of trees and bushes and perhaps some woodland critters scampering about, but I like to see the buildings and the streets, and far off near the horizon the steady stream of cars and trucks crossing the Lake Shore drive bridge.  

On the other hand, none of those woodland critters are carrying the virus whereas some of the folks crossing the bridge and filling the streets and the building are surely packing the virus.  Very good chance I will be coming down with it. 

I have my suspicions about the sophistication and wit of Cheboyganers, but I will wager that the great majority of them are gun nuts.  

Last time I went down to the Jewel I admit that I made a special trip to the toilet paper aisle and there were rows and rows of rolls and rolls.  I have my improv group on Tuesdays and a painting class on Thursday at the senior center.  So far there has been no drop off in attendance.


Before the corona face masks were not uncommon on State Street, mostly, but not exclusively by Asian people, but now I rarely see them.  Perhaps the message has gotten through that they are of little use in preventing flu bugs.  They are of use if you have the flu by preventing you passing it on, but then wearing it is kind of a clue that you have the virus and maybe you don't want to proclaim that at the Jewel as you pick up five or six packs of toilet paper.

I suppose it won't be long before Beagles steps into that still pretty spanking new bright red Ford truck and tools down the hard road to the Benton Township Hall to vote for the grandson of Tuesday Weld.  All signs are that Bernie will be clobbered, but signs have been wrong before.  Even so I expect he will carry on.  Well he might as well having come this far, but I fear bitterness dividing the party.  Now that they see themselves on top they are directing less vitriol at the Bernies which is good.  I would recommend none at all, maybe candy and flowers and a welcome back brothers and sisters.  We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment