Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Pulling the Plug

Way back in the 80s when I was first learning about computers at work, we hourly types were spooked by them, but the young managers assured us that a computer could always be put back in its place by simply pulling the plug.  I used to do that periodically with my first PC until somebody told me that I could get the same effect with less risk of damaging my machine by simultaneously pressing Ctrl, Alt, and Delete.  I've only had to do that with my present machine a few times, but I seem to remember there was one time that didn't work and I resorted to plug pulling, which did work.

Presidents and governors can temporarily suspend civil liberties by declaring a state of emergency.  I'm not sure if it's in the Constitution, it might be something left over from English Common Law.  I think there is a time limit to it, maybe 30 days, and then they have to ask the legislature for an extension.  I seem to remember that Trump once declared a state of emergency and Congress voted to pull the plug on it, but Trump vetoed the bill and Congress couldn't muster the necessary 2/3 majority to over ride the veto.  I think the courts got involved but, before they could do anything, the state of emergency timed out.  I think most of the current corona restrictions have been imposed at the state level.

I haven't heard anything about the Tea Party Movement, which was founded in reaction to Obama's election, since Trump was elected.  I think they just declared victory and went home.  I understand that some people in Europe are defying their governments and holding corona parties.  Then there were those spring breakers down in Florida, but I think they've been shut down since the governor closed all the beaches.

Cheboygan County still has not reported one corona case, and neither has Presque Isle County, our neighbor to the east.  Last I heard, Emmet County to the west and Otsego County to the south were still reporting one case each.  Other parts of the state are not faring so well, I think the numbers doubled in the last day or two.  I haven't heard yet if the toilet paper sale at Great Lakes Tissue was held today as scheduled.  "Essential" businesses are exempt from our governor's "Stay home and stay safe" order.  I would think that toilet paper would be on the "essential" list, but I don't know that for a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment