Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2020

Kipling to Music

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+road+to+mandalay+song

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=recessional+by+rudyard+kipling

They sure don't make songs like that anymore.  Top 40 you say?  Bah, modern teenage hoodlum music I say!  I don't know the origin of the tunes used with the Kipling poems, but an astute Googler might be able to find something about them.

It has been a mild winter in Beaglesonia.  Of course it ain't over yet, but anything that hits us now would be easy to take because it can't last more than a month or so.  I didn't exactly run out of firewood this year, but I got down to some stuff I cut last October and it's too green to burn efficiently.  It will burn with some coaxing, but it doesn't put out a lot of heat and it will burn much better next winter.  With a relatively warm rain in the weather forecast, I put the rain cap on the chimney and put the wood furnace to bed for the season on March 18.  We've had some cold weather since then, but the gas furnace is keeping up nicely.

It boggles my mind to contemplate making a roll of toilet paper last for 56 days.  We go through about a roll a day between the two of us. We've got enough on hand to last three weeks or more, but I don't plan to cut it that close.  I talked to my daughter in Charlevoix today, and she says it's the same in her neighborhood.  If you see some in the store, you'd better buy a package or two because you don't know when you'll see it again.  I suppose, if you could find out when a shipment was coming in, you could make sure to be there when it does, if the store people even know themselves when to expect a truck to come in.  I doubt that the people who lined up for the sale at Great Lakes Tissue were desperately low on the stuff.  They probably just want to stock up so they would have one less thing to worry about in these troubled times.

Michigan has reported about 1500 confirmed cases of the virus, with 15 deaths, so far.  It seems then that only about one percent of the victims are dying from this thing.  Of course that's still to many but, put into perspective, it's no worse than a lot of other causes of death.  I think what's got everybody spooked is how fast this thing is spreading, with the potential to overwhelm the system.  I seem to remember saying the same thing about the illegal immigration crisis last summer.  It's not that they're bad people, there's just too many of them, and they're coming at us too fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment