Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2020

Third time's the charm

There's nothing like a global pandemic to take the spotlight off the presidential election, is there?  If I didn't know any better I'd say that this virus was designed to take baby boomers off the playing field.  But that's just crazy talk; we don't need any more.

This is the third time that something happened that caused a big shift in my reality.  The first was November 22, 1963; presidents are not supposed to get shot.  The second was September 11, 2001;  skyscrapers are not supposed to collapse, under any circumstances.  And now this global craziness but I can't pin it down to an exact date.  Remember how nice everything was back in 2019?  Good times.

-----

As Uncle Ken observed, I've become something of a homebody so I'm not really going through any hardship.  Except for bread and some paper goods my local supermarkets are well stocked and the customers are well behaved.  I saw one person with a face mask on the bus today but nobody else was wearing any.  The strange thing is that her nose wasn't covered, which I think defeats the purpose of the mask.  Oh, well.  It's going to be a long summer and our previous way of life will fade into memory.

-----

Regarding the topic of music and songwriting, have either of you folks seen the film Rocketman?  It's a somewhat fictionalized account of the life of Elton John, and I enjoyed it, much more than I expected.  In his case, the words came first, courtesy of Bernie Taupin.  He'd crank out the lyrics and Elton would put them to music.  I'm surprised at how well that system worked out for them; some of the songs are really good, in my opinion.  Elton John is much more of a musical prodigy than I was aware of and he knows how to punch out a snappy tune.

-----

And in the words of Philip Freemason Esterhaus, "Let's be careful out there."


No comments:

Post a Comment