Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2020

Mostly Warmer in the Swamp

We generally run about five degrees warmer than the officially reported temperature for Cheboygan, except on a clear calm night when we might run about five degrees cooler and have frost in the morning when the city does not.  My new truck has a thermometer that measures the outside temperature, and I have noticed it drop several degrees right before my eyes as I drive towards town.   Funny thing, though, it takes longer for our snow to melt and for our trees to leaf out in the spring.  The only reason I can think of is that our soil freezes harder because it's so wet.

We got our census form in the mail a week or two ago, and I filled it out and mailed it right back to them.  It occurred to me that they count everybody who is living in the US, citizen or not, and that determines how many congressmen each state gets.  It seems, then, that a state with a high immigrant population might get congressional representation that is out of proportion to their eligible voting population.  I don't know if that's what the founders had in mind, but they might have, because they counted 2/5 of the slaves even though the slaves couldn't vote.  This gave the southern states more  political clout than they should have had, but not as much as they would have had if all the slaves were counted, which is what the South wanted.

Speaking of politics, I heard that Trump, who had promised that the virus thing would be over with by Easter, is now saying that it might last till the end of April.  Bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment