Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Tweeting and Texting

I don't know how much tweeting and texting goes on in Cheboygan because I only go there about once a week to buy something. (Guys don't shop, guys just go buy something. Shopping is for girls.) I have seen people walking around in the supermarket or driving their cars while talking on their cell phones. I always wonder what they're talking about that can't wait till they get home, but that's just me. I also go to Face Book once a week to see what my daughter and grand daughter have been up to, and I have noticed that they post things right from wherever they are at the time. They have an app or something that shows their current location on a map which, I suppose, is useful if one of your friends is trying to catch up with you. Then again, what if you don't want to be caught up with at the moment, or what if the person trying to catch up with you is not one of your friends? People complain about the lack of privacy nowadays, but they broadcast all kinds of personal stuff, and then make it easy for everybody and his uncle to track them down. My daughter and grand daughter are actually pretty cautious about stuff like that, but I have heard that many young people are not.

I haven't been to a bar in a long time, maybe since before cell phones became popular, and certainly not since those super duper smart phones came out. I don't know why anybody would pay top dollar to drink in a bar and then spend the whole time phoning or texting. It would make more sense to buy your beer in the supermarket by the 30 pack, then do your drinking, phoning, and texting at home. The beer is a lot cheaper that way, and you don't have to worry about getting busted for drunk driving on your way home. I have met some interesting people in bars back in the day, but I also have met a lot of people who weren't very interesting, and some who were down right obnoxious. Of course the same could be said for the internet, but it's easier to avoid people you don't like on the internet than it is in real life.

When I was in the army, they taught me to always back into a tight spot in case you have to make a quick getaway. It makes sense in real life too, even if you're not worried about being attacked in the night. I have driven pickup trucks for most of my life, and they don't do well backing up in deep snow or backing up a slippery grade. If you can back one of those things in, you can usually drive it straight out, but the opposite is not always true. It always makes me nervous when I see somebody backing out of a garage or driveway into traffic, and I slow down and cover my brake when I see anyone doing that ahead of me because I don't know if they can see me or not. I understand that they are putting blind spot cameras in some of the newer cars, which is probably a good idea but, if I ever have one of those things, I will still back in and drive out. Old habits die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment