Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2016

The wheels turn...

The bit about the quick getaway when you back into a space is news to me, but I didn't learn much, vehicle-wise, in the army, Had a license for jeep and deuce-and-a-half, but that was it.

But it makes sense to back in because you have better control and need less space.  Consider parallel parking; almost impossible if you go in nose first. Same thing with fork lifts, which have to operate in confined spaces with demanding precision.  The wheels that do the steering are in the back.

-----

Regarding the twits who text, I have to remind myself that I am a dinosaur.  I don't get it, but in the words of a 20th century bard, "The times they are a changing." Don't criticize what you can't understand.  Lots of folks like to T&T, fair enough.

But the notion of personal privacy seems to be an archaic concept. It's like everyone is nosing into everyone else's business rather than tend to their own knitting, with gossip and thoughtless speculation becoming major economic forces.  Perchance my symptoms of media overload are becoming more acute...

-----

Duper phones?  An excellent description, much better than "smart" phones.  Nothing like having all of your personal information, your friend's information, pictures galore of everybody and their brothers, and god knows what else, all in one place which can easily be lost or stolen. Oh, and there's probably some kind of tracking info that records everywhere you've been. And you have to recharge it everyday, I suppose.  Probably only costs about $75 per month (with a 2 year contract) or so, but I don't know.

The big benefit of the dupers is the camera; plenty of bad actors getting caught in the act; another police shooting today of an unarmed man.

I was never a fan of cell phones, but when I moved into the new apartment 6 years ago I realized a cell phone and a naked DSL line would be cheaper than a landline with cable. A $30 flip phone with "pay as you go" service is working well enough. And if I happen to be out and about and fall but can't get up, help could be summoned.  Beats trying to find a pay phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment