Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

driving off a cliff

I should have noticed that that was Old Dog's comment because it was in the middle of a bunch of ellipses. 

I agree with Beagles that there probably is no reason to change our format, it would in the end just make things more complicated and adversely effect our much vaunted spontaneity.

Maybe I shouldn't have said meaningless (though I do believe it is meaningless, but that is an argument for another day) for the caveman stepping into the enlightenment dilemma.  Maybe it's more like doing right, or more specifically knowing what is the right thing to do, that's the thing that seems to drive philosophers batty.  I imagine it's not hard to do what's right when your life is pretty simple and you don't have that much brain power. 

But once you get to thinking about things you begin to wonder what is the meaning of doing right, and what if doing the right thing right now results in worse things happening later, and should you do what you feel is right or should you think it out as to what the consequences will be, and is it possible to construct a theory (philosophy) that will tell you what is the right and wrong thing to do in every circumstance?  Questions like that, the kind of questions that go on in bullshitting sessions.

It seems to me that in our teens and early adulthood we have those bullshitting sessions, but not much later in life.  It seems to me that most people just drop the subject with a shrug and go on about their lives and some of us come up with a halfass answer that is not perfect but will do for something to say when the question comes up and just stick with that.  And still others discover some obscure blog.

I am so disappointed to learn that Camus was not behind the wheel.  I like to think of him as driving that winding seaside road and thinking like the guy looking for love pulling the petals off the flower.  To commit suicide.  To not commit suicide, and then finally saying "Of fuck it," and driving off the cliff.

His whole philosophy was about  how to lead your life and then his ends by some other guy taking his eye off the road.  Ah the irony he may have thought heading for the jagged rocks.



Watched the Republicans last night.  I thought I would be laughing my ass off, but I kept getting more and more scared.  A lot of hate, a lot of fear.  This current shooting spree I believe they are going to try to ride that to victory, and they may well succeed.  When the mob is scared they prefer people who show no doubt over people proposing complicated answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment