Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2016

Baker's Nosh

I didn't have it quite right about middle class society.  There was something that I wanted to say, but I wasn't sure exactly what and I thought I would start writing and figure it out.  I used the example of Baker's Nosh because that was where I started thinking about it.  In answer to Old Dog, I felt comfortable leaving my stuff out the first time I came there,  But there is a vibe there, the people seem to be regulars that come there every Saturday and it is obvious that they mostly know each other.

It's in a gentrifying area of Uptown. and it's kind of artisanal.  The food is baked right there fresh every morning and there is quite a variety, certainly a step above Starbucks.  It's a little pricier too.  I used to pay five and change at Starbucks for a venti and a pumpkin loaf, but here I pay seven and change for a coffee smaller than a venti and that tremendous focaccia. I would say it's a little upscale, but in a folksy rather than a snooty way.  Also it's a dog place.  Everybody brings their dog and the people who work there hand out treats and make a fuss when the dogs arrive.  All that barking, all those probing muzzles, I'm not a fan, but people with dogs need somewhere to go, and I can be tolerant as long as there is focaccia.

I don't want to use the word yuppies because nobody is that young and yuppies seems to denote people working hard to get ahead and who are very materialistic.  Maybe these are gracefully aging yuppies, people who have gotten to where they want to go and are happy enough with that, and are materialistic in that they like good food and drink, but not like flashy cars. 

And Beagles is quite right that you don't have to be middle class to have a place like that where everybody knows each other and you can leave you stuff anywhere, and you won't get punched in the nose for bumping somebody's elbow.  I'm sure there are places in Cheboygan where the waitress calls you Hon.  I like being called Hon.  The people that serve up my coffee and focaccia never call me Hon, but then they are all guys so that's probably ok.

But I was working my way to a point where if you go somewhere where people trust you and you them, life is easier than where nobody trusts each other.  I was going to stretch that into a liberal kumbaya, which is more complicated I know, but time is running out this morning.

And the other point was about how I was always making trouble in school and I didn't like the teachers bossing me around and I didn't like all that booshwa crapola, but maybe I was wrong because if you do all those things later in life you get to eat focaccia in a nice setting among nice people.  I need to flesh that out a bit too, but not this morning.


I think Bernie took it way too long after he was mathematically eliminated, but I'll give him a little slack now that he has come around, and if he wants to go back to being an independent, fine.

I don't think the DNC screwed the Bernie Babes, it was just a little shenanigans, and it's not like he wouldn't have lost without that.  I think there are certainly ugly things in Carrot Top's taxes, but it could be many different things, and we can only speculate.

No comments:

Post a Comment